Eli Oscar Bancroft
- Born: 21 Apr 1869, Hawkcliffe Cottage -Steeten, Keighley, Yorks, England 137,138
- Marriage: Sarah Rhodes on 10 Aug 1897 in Keighley, Yorkshire, England 136
- Died: 3 Nov 1958, Roose Hospital, Barrow-in-Furness, Lancashire, England at age 89 139
- Buried: Nov 1958, Skipton, Yorkshire, England
Cause of his death was Not sure.
Notes from Jarlath Bancroft,
Born circa 1870 at Kildwick (small village between Keighley and Skipton,
1891 census living as single man with brother Pearson, whose first name was Leoffric leaving at Beta St Keighley. Occupation mechanical fitter.
Eli named after maternal grandfather, Eli Waddington.
Cremated at Skipton as there was no crematorium in Barrow.
Notes written around 1977 by Steve Pick:
Was born 21/4/1869 at 7.00 am at Hawkcliff cottage Steeton, which has since been demolished. He married Sarah Rhodes and the couple lived for a while in Newcastle where Oscar worked at Armstrongs. They had only been married one week when a 7 month lock out started and they had to live on 10 shillings a week. They lived in several rented houses but eventually they moved to Barrow-in-Furness in 1902 on the doctors advice to avoid the cold damp climate which was blamed for Sarah's rheumatic fever.
In Barrow they found a rented house in Vegeance Street but moved quickly to Avon Street where they had their only daughter Harriet. Before she was 2 1/2 the family moved to Buller Street, again on Walney but then Sarah persuaded Oscar to move back to Yorkshire to be nearer the family. They went to Halifax where in the space of 2 1/2 years they lived in Studley Terrace and Holly Grove. Oscar must have had problems looking for work for he returned to Barrow at this time and got a job again in Vickers. He got a house in Jason Street but Sarah wanted a garden so they then moved to 18 Wellington Street, Dalton. This was a meager house so with Bethel's prompting they moved finally to 18 Beach Crescent, which later got renumbered to 34. In the 1922 Barrow directory it had E I Bancroft at 18 Beach crescent.
5/31/12 the 1932 barrow directory also has 18 Beach Crescent
1911 Census Barrow-in-Furness, aged 41. (Details not looked at). Wife and child in Halifax. (Later 2009 looked at)
8/21/09 Receipt on file for £52.16.6 from E. Harvey for funeral arrangements dated 14 Nov 1958. Marriage cert on file
Found death certificate so added death date. Will on file
Spent a few of his last years in bed. Had itchy legs and went to Manchester for treatment in 1948. Wore crepe bandages for most of the rest of time I think. When helping neighbours moving a pile of manure he got an infection in his eye which may have started his demise. Not sure of date, maybe around 1955death certificate signed by Dr Gilmore, (I) Mycardial degeneration, (II) Chronic bronchitis.
Noted events in his life were:
• Birth, 20 Apr 1869, Hawkcliffe Cottage -Steeten, Keighley, Yorks, England. I always thought he was born on the 21st, and the entry in the Engineering book says 7am on the 21st. The other side of the document says 2st so maybe it was just an error and birth was 21st.
• 1871 Census Oakworth Bancroft Jabez: Oscar Bancroft son unmar aged 1 born Kildwick, 2 Apr 1871, Low Utley, Oakworth, Keighley. 140
• Copy of birth certificate 1879: Request birth certificate for education or work, 29 Apr 1879, 18 Gragrave road, Skipton, Yorks. Name was Eli Oscar Bancroft, Father jabez, Mother Deborah, where born Ancliffe, in which year 1869 April 21.
Signed for Jabez Bancroft 18 Gargrave Road, Skipton. No Occupation
• 1881 Census Bancroft: Oscar aged 11,Scholar , born Steeton, 3 Apr 1881, West Street, Huddersfield. 141,142
• 1891 Census Keighley Bancroft LP: Eli Bancroft, bother, aged 21, Mechanic Fitter, born Kildwick, 5 Apr 1891, 2 Beta Street, keighley, Yorks. 143
• Marriage, 10 Aug 1897, Keighley, Yorkshire, England. Occupation Fitter for machinist living at 10 Elliot Street, Felling on Tyne
• 1901 Census Benwell Bancroft Eli: Eli O. Bancroft head aged 31foreman gauge maker born Keighley, 31 Mar 1901, 98 Atkinson Rd. Benwell, Fenham, Northumberland, England, Great Britain. 144
• 1911 Census Barrow-in-Furness Bancroft Eli: Eli Oscar Bancroft, Boarder aged 41, journey man fitter born Keighley Steeton, 2 Apr 1911, 37 Powerful Street, Barrow-in-Furness. 145
• Daughters marriage, 14 Aug 1937, St Marys Church, Walney, Barrow-In-Furness. Eli was retired
• Will: Estate Duty from Inland Revenue, 23 Jun 1959. 146 Also letter of 15 May 1959.
Value of 34 Beach Crescent was £1650, up from £ 850
25 Mornington Crescent valued at £200, down from 300
Mr Bancroft 1/5 th share of the shop at 68 North Street, Keighley valued at £900 an increase of 400
• Life. Hawkliffe cottage has been demolished. He married Sarah Rhodes and the couple lived for a while in Newcastle where Oscar worked at Armstrong's. They had only been married a week when a 7 month lock out started and they had to live on 10 shillings a week. They lived in several rented houses but they eventually moved to Barrow-in-Furness in 1902 on doctors advice to avoid the cold damp climate which was blamed for Sarah's rheumatic fever.
In Barrow they found a rented hose in Vengeance street but moved quickly to Avon Street where they had their only daughter Harriet. Before she was 2 1/2 he family moved for a short interval to Buller street on Walney but then Sarah persuaded Oscar to move back to Yorkshire to be nearer the family. They went to Halifax where in the space of 2 1/2 years they lived in Studley terrace and holly Grove. Oscar must have had problems looking for work for he returned to barrow at this time and got a job in Vickers. He got a house in Jason Street but Sarah wanted a garden so they moved to 18 Wellington Street Dalton. This was a meager house so with bethel Rhodes prompting they moved finally to 18 beach Crescent, which later got renumbered 34 Beach Crescent.
9/8/09 it seems Hawkcliff cottage is still on the map. Reviewing to see if it was demolished.
Eli married Sarah Rhodes, daughter of Bethel Rhodes and Harriet Baldwin, on 10 Aug 1897 in Keighley, Yorkshire, England.136 (Sarah Rhodes was born on 11 Mar 1870 in Keighley, Yorkshire, England, died on 19 Apr 1937 in Barrow in Furness, , Lancashire, England and was buried in 1937 in Utley Cemetery, Keighley, Yorkshire, England.)
HR Pick said congregational church? Letter Dec21st 1972 to Puerto Rico to Steve Pick.
8/21/09 found marriage certificate which had date as 10th not 14th August 1897. The Ebenezer Chapel, Devon Street, Keighely according to the Congregstionalists