- Born: 28 Dec 1881, 3 Armitage Street, North Bishop Wearmouth, Durham, England
- Marriage: Bridget McCourt on 19 Aug 1908 in St Aidens Parish Church, Newcastle On Tyne 20
- Died: 20 Sep 1947, Barrow in Furness, , Lancashire, England at age 65
- Buried: 24 Sep 1947, St Marys Church, Walney, Barrow-In-Furness
Cause of his death was coronary thrombosis.
Birth certificate copy on file.
District: Not too legible, could be Sunderland. Sub district; could be North Point, County; Durham
No 209, When and where; December twenty eighth 1881, 3 Armitage Beck, U.S.D.
Name; John, Sex; Boy, Father; William Pick, Mother; name is hard to read but it is like Susanah Pick formerly Keen? (could be Kell), Profession father; engineer fitter-
Signature registrant; W. Pick father 3 Armitage Beck (Beck could be something else) and the town is not readible, registered sixth february 1882. The certificate was produced 9 November 1896.
The 1881 census for his father and mother show the dwelling as 3 Armitage St and the census place as Bishopwearmouth, Durham England
Aunt Peggy Pick had written that the name was Rose Kell. It seems Peggy must have been mixing up then first name of her mother and grand mother. With the census information showing Susannah Pick, and the marriage of a William Pick to Susannah Kell in Sunderland, the inference is the mother was Susannah Kell.
His marriage certificate of 1908 shows The parish church in the parish of St Aidan in the county of Newcastle on Tyne.
No 218 August 19th 1908; John Pick (26) Annie McCourt (21) Bachelor, spinster, John was an electrician. John was living at 3 Shakespeare Street, Barrow-in-Furness and Annie McCourt at 207 Maria St, Newcastle. The witnesses were Alfred Marshall and Agnes Ross. Rupert P Shiner was the official of the church of England
On the death certificate of his wife in 1929 he was living at 28 Hastings Street, Walney, Barrow-in-Furness and was a Shipyard electrician
His death certifcate is entry 132 in Barrow-in-Furness, Twentieth September 1947 aged 65. Still living at 28 Hastings Street Walney and was a chargehand electrician in Vickers shipyard. Death was coronary thrombosis and the informant was William Pick, son living at 34 Beach Crescent, Walney, Barrow-in-Furness
6/15/09 Saw note in Peggy Pick's letter of 26.3.94 that he went to America in 1932. It seems he booked his passage on S.S.Samaria through Robinsons. 6/19/09 On Find my past the only John Pick departure from british port is in 1923 from Liverpool to Boston and birth is 1882
11/25/09 Note on 1901 Census print out says address 95 Northbourne St, but not clear if this is where he lived in 1901 or where he was born in Sunderland
11/29/10 Found manifast of trip to USA via ancetry.com. John Pick aged 41 7 months. Left Liverpool on SS SAMARIA 23 Oct 1923, Arrived Boston 1 Nov 1923 destination Syracuse. Last residence Barrow. Contact Mr Pick 52 Jutland avenue Flookburgh. Friend L. T. Flor. Occupation Elect Shop.
12/3/2010 Called somebody in Flookborough who said Ravenstown was built by Vickers as they were going to build airships there but the idea was cancelled. There was a school 100 years ago on Market St, opposite the Hope and Anchor which is probably where dad went to school.
Barrow in Furness, , Lancashire, England
5/31/2012 1932 Year book shows J Pick living at 28 Hastings Street, Barrow
8/20/2012 1914 Tear book Barrow has no record so they were probably in Flookborough
Very suddenly while out at his club.
Noted events in his life were:
• Birth, 28 Dec 1881, 3 Armitage Street, North Bishop Wearmouth, Durham, England. 21 Birth, marriage and death certificate on file. 1901 Census says birth place was Northumberland, Sunderland.
• 1891 Census Elswick Pick William: John Pick aged 9 Son, Scholar Born Pallion, Durham, 5 Apr 1891, 95 Northbourne St., Elswick, Northumberland. 22
• 1901 Census Elswick Pick: John Pick aged 19, son born Sunderland, Electrical engineer, 31 Mar 1901, 95 Northbourne St., Elswick, Northumberland. 23 Age 19 was electrical worker, born95 Northbourne St, Civil parish Elswick. church parish St Aidans
• 1911 Census Barrow-in-Furness Pick John: John Pick head aged 29, Electrician Arm winder, born Sunderland, 2 Apr 1911, 37 Cameron St. Barrow-in-Furness, Lancashire. 24
• Trip to USA: SS Samaria Manifest John Pick aged 41, 1 Nov 1923, Boston. 25
• Return from USA: Manifest Franconia Cunard line -arrival Liverpool, 21 Sep 1924, New York. Address of passenger 28 Hastings street Walney B.in Furness male aged 42 Electrician
John married Bridget McCourt, daughter of Joseph McCourt and Mary Reid, on 19 Aug 1908 in St Aidens Parish Church, Newcastle On Tyne.20 (Bridget McCourt was born on 3 Dec 1886 in Newhouses Preston Quarters, Whitehaven, England,26 died on 17 Feb 1929 in Barrow in Furness, , Lancashire, England 27 and was buried on 20 Feb 1929 in St Marys Church, Walney, Barrow-In-Furness.)
Noted events in their marriage were:
• Marriage: Marriage John Pick and Annie McCourt, 19 Aug 1908, St Aidens Parish Church, Newcastle On Tyne.
FreeBMD shows Annie Mccourt