- Born: 1815, Dublin, Ireland
- Marriage: Ann Bentley on 2 Aug 1840 in Halifax, Yorkshire, England
- Died: 4 Jan 1863, Bradford, Yorkshire, England at age 48
Supposedly attended Fulneck school Pudsey and came from wealthy Irish family who possessed various properties in Sackville Street Dublin. He was cut off from inheritance when he eloped with Ann Bentley from school. There was a marriage in Sept 1840 in Halifax between Ann Bentley and Hugh Baldwin. Both parties indicated they were of age and Hugh's father was Hugh.
Attended an experimental co-ed school called Fulneck in Pudsey. Went off with a fellow student without blessing of parents and married her. They lived in the Keighley area and created an air of educated people reading the newspapers to their neighbours. Due to the nature of his departure from Ireland his father never left any of his wealth and it was reportedly put in chancery.
The above notes were written in 1977 based on letters and talks between Steve Pick and his mother Harriet.
In 2002 Steve Pick was told by Fulneck school that it wasn't a coed school till much later and there was no record of any Baldwin around the 1830/40 time frame, so the above information is suspect.
Hugh Baldwin listed on 1837 web site says Hugh Baldwin was 45 in 1861 living in Bradford. Occupation Cordwainer.
Certificate printed Apr 2 2006 Hugh's birth place listed as Dublin.
1841 Census aged 25 living with father-in-law shoemaker
1851 Census aged 37 living on Lidget Green Shoe maker
Name from daughter Harriet's birth certificate. A Hugh Baldwin death shown freeBMD March 1863 Bradford.
Noted events in his life were:
• 1841 Census Bradford Bentley: Hugh Baldwin aged 25 born Ireland, Jun 1841, Lidget Green, Horton, Yorks, England. 297
• Birth of Bentley: Residence, 9 Jul 1841, Lidget Green, Horton, Yorks, England. From birth certificate of Bentley.Was Cordwainer
• 1851 Census Bradford Baldwin: Hugh aged 37, Shoemaker, HoH, Born Ireland, 30 Mar 1851, 167 Lidget Green, Horton, Bradford. 298
• 1861 Census Bradford Baldwin Hugh: Hugh Baldwin head mar aged 45, Cordwainer, born Dublin, Ireland, 7 Apr 1861, 264, Lidget Green Bradford, Horton. 299
• Death, 4 Jan 1863, Bradford, Yorkshire, England. 300
Hugh married Ann Bentley, daughter of Charles Bentley and Mary Barraclough, on 2 Aug 1840 in Halifax, Yorkshire, England. (Ann Bentley was born on 2 Sep 1820 in Bradford, Yorkshire, England 301, christened on 28 Jun 1837 in BETHEL PRIMITIVE METHODIST, GREAT HORTON, YORK, ENGLAND 301 and died on 17 May 1902 in Lee farm, Wilsden, Keighley 302,303.)
Noted events in their marriage were:
• Marriage Baldwin Bentley: Hugh Baldwin Bachelor Ann Bentley Spinster, 2 Aug 1840, Halifax, Yorkshire, England. 304